Friday, January 18, 2008

Treasure is everywhere in Kuranda, Queensland

Let us talk Australia some more. Outside of Cairns is the quaint mountain town of Kuranda. it is a day trip that I've made twice, once in 1998 & on my most recent 2007 adventure. It's claim to fame is the daily markets that are home to some of the finest treasure I've hunted. Everything from Aboriginal art to hokey boomerangs painted with Australian flags. The best way to get there is take the overhead sky rail up & the scenic train(pictured) back down to Cairns. It costs roughly $90.00 AUD & the tour operators pick you up at your lodging, give you a brief history of the sky rail(designed by an American by the way) & drop you off at the sky rail. They also tell you to be back at 4:00 sharp or you will be finding another way home. Fine by me as I'm never late. I board the sky rail with a nice Dutch couple who are pleasant. The sky rail takes about 30mins from start to finish & you can get off at a couple places to explore the rain forest. I forgo this as treasure hunting is on my mind. I depart the sky rail & make my way to the nearest pub Fanny O'Reilly's Irish Bar & Grill. I knock back 3-4 pints to quench my thirst & head into the Kuranda markets. I am amazed at how fast i spend money at the really good markets. I duck behind the markets & find some off the beaten path artists. I meet Charlond who is an aboriginal woman who is very pleasant & we trade contact information. I bought a nice cross necklace with a garnet stone in the middle. I buy Cairns highland coffee, Queensland honey, a ceramic penguin, ear rings, a alligator magnet made out of a macadamia nut & an original aboriginal painting. It was a banner day in the treasure hunting business. I hate to leave but I'm spending money like an addict in Amsterdam. I head back to the pub for some food & of course more Aussie beer. I met the owner Barry & we talk about an opportunity he has. Some many possibilities to import back to the U.S. I stay as long as i can but is getting late. The train is unable to go down the mountain due to a landslide so I ride it as far as they will let us then back on the sky rail. It is a beautiful journey over the rain forest with spectacular views of many waterfalls. The rain forest is so thick that you don't get to see much in the way of wildlife except for birds. I make it back in plenty of time for the ride back to Cairns. Tip of the day....if you are in Cairns, do yourself a favor & take the day trip to Kuranda. I give a money back guarantee that you will be glad that you did.
Cheers,
Rip
http://www.onmeway.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.