Friday, January 11, 2008

Stick your head under the water & behold

I'm a scuba diver & I'm here to tell you, it is one of the most incredible experiences on our planet to suck compressed air & swim with the fishes. I've been PADI certified since 1993 & did my advanced open water in 1996 so I can deep & night dive. People ask me all the time where is the best place I've dove & i respond it depends on what you like to do. In my experiences I've found that the best drift diving is in Cozumel, although the Mexicans do nothing for conservation of their reefs or care about diver safety. The best wall diving was the Cayman Islands with Little Cayman's site "The Meadows" being spectacular! It started in 20ft of water then I swam thru a series of tunnels and came out on the wall which went straight down for 5000 ft. The best deep diving was Andros, the largest island in the Bahamas. I dove one of their legendary blue holes & at lunch the dive master was drinking a beer. I asked Jim if I could have a couple beers before the afternoon dive which is taboo....he said "Yeah, if you screw up they will never find your body, so what do i care" classic honesty. The Florida keys are good but thru the years all the hurricanes have shifted everything around. I dove the 585ft U.S.S. Speigel Grove & that sucker was huge. I also dove the H.M.S. Rhone in Tortola,B.V.I. & really enjoyed that except for it being jellyfish season. All these places are fantastic but The Great Barrier Reef of Australia is dear to my heart for many reasons. First, I don't know one single person from my neck of the woods who has dove it. Second, it is huge & stretches some 1,500 miles along the Queensland coast & can be seen from outerspace. Third, you see all sorts of species only found in the South Pacific like this giant clam pictured. I've seen Potato Cod(grouper family) as big as V.W. Bugs! I am at total peace under the water & plan on diving the U.S.S. Oriskiny(Vietnam era aircraft carrier) off the coast of Pensacola,Florida this summer. My advice to you is get certified & take the plunge. You will be amazed what mother nature has below the surface.
Cheers,
Rip
check out www.onmeway.com

No comments: