Sunday, December 16, 2007

Some things are better if you wait

I was involved in a wreck in 1992 & received only $2,800 for my mangled mess of a car. My roommate & best friend threw a Wheels & Deals down on the table. He pointed to a 1972 Olds Cutlass Convertible for $2400 & proclaimed"You have to buy this car, it is so you Rip" I had no idea how big of a moment this would turn out to be in my life. 1 of the top 10 for sure & i'll tell you why. First, this car personifies my laid back, easy going attitude. When i drive the Cutlass i am never in a hurry & i'll get there in due time. I try not to drive it in the rain as the top should be down always. Second, this car was a mess in reality & desperate need of restoration. The previous owner had wrecked it probably more than once & repaired it with Bondo. It is a convertible so water damage was also a factor. There was massive areas of rust throughout the car. I have a list of a 100 things i will do before i die & restoring the Cutlass was way up at #2 but it took me 14 years to begin the long & expensive project. The guy in the picture is Yancey Hale, husband of my former processor Jackie Hale. I'm 6'5" 280 & he makes me look small. Big men were needed for this job. Yancey advised me to sell the car for parts & with the money i was about to spend, he could buy me another Cutlass. I said Hell No, i've given up on many things in my life & i was never giving up on this car. He understood & set out to restore my YeloSub to as new as he could. It was the best $15,000 i've ever spent. This experience taught me that vision & persistence are 2 necessary traits that can help me in life. I was patient & driven to get the YeloSub where it needed to be. People can have their Mercedes, Lexus & BMW's but I'm an all American muscle car kind of guy & this car will flat out get it. If you ever see me driving around Nashville in the Cutlass; you'll understand. #2 restore the Cutlass-Done
Go topless whenever possible,
Rip

No comments: