Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Minimization has begun!


First the definition: the act of reducing something to the least possible amount or degree or position. For years I have been a hoarder in denial, for lack of a better title. I believed that in order for my life to have purpose or true meaning, I would have to collect treasure on my journeys around the world. I mistakenly was under the impression that all these things would enrich my soul & frankly help guard my mind against the "old timers" as my momma calls it. Now, I have come to the realization these things are holding me back from my mission : to travel the World. In order to truly venture out on my own with no looking back, I must get rid of everything that anchors me here. It is amazing the weird items I have amassed in my 47 years, especially since my family lost all in the mysterious house fire of 1979. Once you make a decision as monumental as this, at least in my humble opinion, it is humorous how much crap I've collected over the years. Don't get me wrong, I have some amazing treasure that makes me smile but it is only a symbol of a brief moment in my travels & my rich life. I use the term rich because for the purpose of reality.... maybe, barring me winning the Powerball, I may never have monetary wealth as this doesn't drive me. It is the open road, the hole in the wall pub &  the random encounters with my fellow man that truly makes me a wealthy soul. Of course I am fully aware I need money to travel & I'm currently in a feasibility study to travel as I help my fellow man as I go. Now before I embark on this epic Visionquest, I must completely downsize. Ponder for a moment of getting rid of everything you own & taking with you; only what fits in your back pack & a shoulder strap duffel bag. Now I will call b.s. on myself a small bit. I do plan to survive said Visionquest & return to the U.S. one day, so I will relegate myself to one big box that I plan to leave with my brother & maybe a few framed UT prints that are priceless to me, but EVERYTHING else has to go. I'm on a mission I tell ya.

So let us assume I have rid myself of all my worldly possessions, what know? I pack up my bags, make sure I can carry them & head out the door. Now for this adventure I'm leaving my troubles & the troubles of our great nation in my rear view mirror.I can't rely on Obamacare as I might just need the healing of a witch doctor in Trinidad or Tobago. I really don't know how long I will be gone & when I will return. I have 2  in country trips on the schedule for New Year's Eve at Ed Stewart beach & a birthday trip to New Orleans via an Amtrak train in February but after that, I'm green lighted. I have a 1 way flight segment on Southwest thanks to my buddy Cecil "the funky cold" Medina that will get me to Ft. Lauderdale, then after that Cuba via the Bahamas. Once I'm in Cuba, I'll see what happens. I will have a list of 100 things to do before I die in my backpack & a traveler, never a tourist's mentality. What could go wrong? Stay tuned.
Rip Pewett non-hoarder
P.S. the painting was one of the first items & only item sold that day at my yard sale. It was sold to the only people to stop by; Barry's sister & her family.

No comments: