Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Welcome to OZ!

Well, i'm in Sydney for 5 days of decompression & the first thing i learn is...it is 8a.m., i've packed like a girl for the 45 days in Oz(Australia for the rookies) & i can't check into the Bondi Beach hostel until 2p.m. No worries. I throw my bag into the hostel storage, grab my traveling gnome Big Boy & head to the topless beach! Well let me tell you, this beach rocks & although it is the slow season, it is packed with people. Big Boy finds a board way too big for him but whatever floats his plastic boat. I don't want to damper his mood as he was tucked into a bag for the flight....it was rude but had to be done.
I decide that a little brekkie is in order so i pull up to a cafe & order eggs,big bacon, toast & potatoes. i order a beer & the manager informs me that his permit won't allow him to sell beer this early but he appreciates my zeal. I sit back & overlook the surf while reading the Aussie daily paper. My food comes quickly & i enjoy not having much of an agenda for the next 5 days. There is such a feeling of contentment when you realize your world is 12,000 miles away & no one knows where you are. Complete freedom.
I bought a 7 day combo pass(bus, train & ferry) after i cleared the Japanese customs agent(confused where i actually landed for a second), so i grabbed a bus, hoped a train & there i was at Circular Quay(pronounced key) with the Sydney Bridge on me left & the Opera House on me right.....next stop the oldest pub in Sydney, The Fortune of War!
Cheers,
Rip

No comments: