Friday, June 11, 2010

You never know who you are gonna run into

I was attempting to nap last Saturday when my phone rang. It was my roommate telling me that he was drinking with two Australian travelers at the street festival I was supposed to be attending. Well, I needed no other motivation that pounding numerous cold beer with friends & convicts. I call all Australians convicts, as that is what they are...convicts sent from England in the 1800's. I rolled up on this motley crew & John the taller of the two says" Yeah, he is a big bloke Barry". Well, I quickly start questioning these fellas about where they are from & what brings them to Nashville. North of Melbourne & music are the answers. We hit it off immediately & proceed to make these fine fellas feel at home in Nashville as their countrymen have done for me on my 3 treks through Oz. I love talking with Australians about their country & learning what I might have missed in my travels there. I sometimes having a hard time listening to people on a daily basis as I think I'm more interesting than most Americans(i know it is a flaw & I'm working on it) but I can sit for hours & listen to Aussies talk about there homeland. I've found cold beer adds to the enjoyment of the stories as well. These 2 blokes are here for a month & they are definitely on walkabout(aussie term for just leaving your hometown for a good bit). They had listened to blues in New Orleans, survived Memphis & now where in Nashville to listen to country music. They wandered upon the Ode to Otha street party & were eating catfish for the first time & drinking Yazoo beer as I was listening to their adventures up to this point. Nothing gets my mind revved up like this. I start talking about what they have to import & what they need me to export. Ironically, they told me I could make a fortune shipping old rusted out cars you see in a person's yard but that didn't seem like my thing. I told them about my past OnMeWay treasure hunting & my future adventures back to Australia & on to New Zealand. We exchanged cards & i promised to look them up my next time in country. And off they went to The Station Inn & I went back to dreaming about my visionquest. I met with my a friend of mine who is a potential investor & it went very well. I have no problem asking a friend to buy me a couple beers but asking someone for $250,000 for investment capital takes me a bit out of my comfort zone. I'm sure it will get easier the more times I ask. No matter what it takes, I will be out of the country on my VisionQuest the day after college football season is over! Yes, I realize my priorities are a little off but they are mine. I would also like to say Suck it Kiffen to our former coach as he enjoys the downfall of USC do to probation. The picture is of 2 convicts John & Gary with 2 yags, Barry & Mark.
Cheers,
Rip Pewett future entrepreneur
www.onmeway.com

No comments: